PennBDS: Well there goes January…

As some of you may know, the big US BDS event for the year will be taking place at the University of Pennsylvania, February 4th and 5th (mostly during Shabbat, of course).

I’ve been batting around some ideas for addressing this stunning gathering of BDSholes from around the nation, but despite the occasional accusation that this blog is secretly funded by AIPAC, the Israeli government or the Elders of Zion (take your pick), I seem to lack the funds needed to fly speakers in from around the globe (just as I was unable to charter a flotilla of ships to sail across the Mediterranean).

But even with the meager sums I have to play with (most of my income being derived from editing coloring and connect-the-dots books, with a small supplementary allowance from my Mom), I have decided to do what I can for the Israeli (I mean the NazionistapartheidyNeoCon cause) by spending the month of January writing blog entries inspired by the program of talks and workshops that will be taking place at U Penn in February.

And because the blog format (which organizes information in reverse chronological order) is a bit cumbersome for an endeavor of this type, I have created a landing page (financed with Ben Gurion’s secret cache of gold coins) which I humbly entitle PennBDS – Oy!

Actual postings will appear on this site as usual, but if you my humble reader wants to direct people to a place where they can hear a rejoinder to the nonsense being peddled in Pennsylvania, feel free to direct them to the PB-Oy! site which will receive a live link whenever I complete a new essay taking apart one of the BDSers treasured talking points.

Oh, and as usual, this site shall remain open to comments throughout this project so PennBDSers, Jewish Voice for Peace-ians, Young Jewish and Proudniks, Adalahans and anyone else who wants to play the role of interlocutor and actually advocate for and defend (rather than just bellow and snarl) the BDS agenda is more than welcome to take part in an actual conversation.

Lock and load!

, , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to PennBDS: Well there goes January…

1. Stop BDS Park Slope January 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Hazak v'amatz. Jon. Great effort, and something that will be extremely useful to the Penn community and the rest of us.

The link to their program at the web-site is currently giving a 404 error.

If you think it will be useful, please feel free to recycle any material from my blog, where I am opposing a BDS initiative in my community at my local food coop.

I especially like my post “Who is BDS and What is its Goal?” Part I and Part II.

I also like my responses to the food coop's BDS supporters' statements on their web-site regarding Judaism and anti-Semitism.

2. JayinPortland January 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

New link to the program is here, apparently.

Keep up the great work, Jon…

3. Jon January 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Fixed (looks like they moved the program link to a new drop-down menu, those web-savvy BDSers!).

Now to find a bottle of scotch bit enough to get me through January 😉 .

4. Anonymous January 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Why are you even wasting your time. Lets not give them so much attention?

5. uncle yo-yo January 4, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Jon is not wasting his time.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Lies and disinformation must always be challenged, no matter the fact that BDS itself is a hopeless, futile and even self-defeating movement.

6. Anonymous January 5, 2012 at 4:55 am #

And the BDS'ers are going crazy on twitter, and are insisting that your attention is indicative of how threatened the Zion-nazi conspiracy is of their meek little grass roots effort

7. Stop BDS Park Slope January 5, 2012 at 5:31 am #

You have to admit, PennBDS put up a very nice web-site. They have an impressive list of speakers coming in. They must be “working morning, noon and night” to pull this thing off. Ya think?

P.S. I sent President Gutmann an email thanking her for her statement distancing the university from the conference. She wrote back. You can send a note of support to her at: presweb@pobox.upenn.edu

8. The Stop BDS Team January 5, 2012 at 5:59 am #

Did you see the PennBDS Twitter feed?

He wrote about PennBDS-Oy!:
    “The fact that someone set up an entire website just to smear us is a testament to the power of BDS.”

“Kind sir, we consider the existence of that site a BDS victory. Thank you for raising the profile of the conference. We hope you'll attend.”

ROFL!

9. JayinPortland January 5, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Heh. Meanwhile, the coffee I'm drinking right now is NOT from Israel.

Yet another BDS win!

Eye roll…

10. fizziks January 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

“Pinkwashing apartheid”
    WTF does that mean?

'Sure, the Palestinian polity will be executing gay people, but support us anyway' ?

11. Anonymous January 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

“Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.”

Saul Alinsky. Rules for Radicals

Of course, the BDS'ers make it easy, because they are so…ridiculous

12. Stop BDS Park Slope January 5, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

If I were a twitter user, I would tweet:

“The fact that you tweeted about an opposition is a testament to our power”

13. DrMike January 6, 2012 at 3:46 am #

good point; think about it. One man and his blog are what BDSers point to as the extent of their power (wow! we motivated one guy to devote his whole blog to us!).

Though of course BDS has been operating for 10 years with only the Olympia Food Coop's scalp hanging on their wall, so their return on effort (compared to Jon's) is well below miniscule.