Go and Learn

14 Dec

As regular (and even irregular) readers may know, I have been a harsh critic of the organization Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP), one of the main proponents of BDS (at least in certain parts of the US). And I have been particularly harsh on them for their insistence on having access to other people’s public forums while simultaneously controlling or eliminating discussion in thier own civic spaces where debate over BDS and other issues could occur in public.

Well good news! It looks like the youth wing of JVP (named Young, Jewish and Proud) has decided to engage with critics (and supporters) of BDS in a new program they entitle Go and Learn. Now this program is scheduled to begin in March, but given the clear importance JVP/YJP put on this issue, I have invited them to begin the debate immediately on their new Web site and just posted the following invitation in this comments section:

Why Wait?

I’m thrilled to learn that you are interested in an open discussion and education project surrounding the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) project.

As some of you may know, I represent one of those people “actively opposed to [BDS]” your invitation above is asking to engage with you. As the creator of the web site www.divestthis.com, I have been eager to discuss and debate with people like yourselves who are supportive of BDS. Until now, however, there have been very few supporters of BDS ready to engage directly on this subject in a sustained and constructive manner.

I’m glad to discover that JVP is interested in remedying this situation and recommend that we begin this debate right now on the Internet (where the world has access to our exchanges), rather than wait until March to discuss what the Young, Jewish and Proud organization obviously considers to be such a pressing topic.

I will post information on your invitation and my own at Divest This (along with any follow ups), but I recommend we have this public discussion right here since, unlike the forums you claim to not have access to, your organization is in full control of this online space. And using it to provide a globally public forum for our conversation would not just provide everyone with the discussion you clearly crave, but would also demonstrate JVP’s openness (in contrast with those places you feel you have been excluded from).

I look forward to hearing back from you and let the conversation begin!

This invite is awaiting moderation, but given the eagerness they are showing to have an open conversation on the subject we will no doubt hear from them soon.

I’ll keep you posted.

7 Responses to “Go and Learn”

1. The Stop BDS Team December 14, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Don't hold your breath.

I posted a similar invitation at my own blog. I haven't received any pro-BDS responses. Lately, I have been getting hits from Richard Silverstein's blog, as he was kind enough to print something about our anti-BDS efforts at my food coop.

Engaging Zion is the only one I know who has been lucky enough to get a JVP response.

2. Anonymous December 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

“Jewish” Voice for Peace recently shared a table with Friends of Sabeel at a progressive activists fair. They happily gave away material claiming Jews were descended from the Khazars, and denying any Jewish claim to our ancient homeland. JVP'ers have also been involved with local anti-circumcision issues. If they reject all aspects of the covenant between G-d, the land and the people, remind me again why they are considered Jewish? I feel like I'm missing something here.

3. Anonymous December 15, 2011 at 1:30 am #

Learn more about imposing BDS on your beloved community institutions at our national BDS conference

REGISTRATION OPEN: 2012 National BDS Conference

February 4-5, 2012 (Opening Reception and Film Screening on the evening of Feb. 3)

On the first weekend in February, academics, activists, students and community leaders from across the US will converge on the University of Pennsylvania for the 2012 National Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Conference. Picking up where the 2009 Hampshire conference left off, we will continue growing the movement with two days of panel discussions, debates, activist workshops, and keynotes by Ali Abunimah and novelist Susan Abulhawa touching on every aspect of the multifarious global effort to heed the BDS Call

Website

4. DrMike December 16, 2011 at 4:26 am #

I wonder if any speaker at the Penn conference will be making any statements in support of peace between a Jewish state of Israel and an Arab state of Palestine. Perhaps PennBDSAnonymous will be able to answer that one.

By the way, isn't that JVP flyer denying Jewish connections to the land of Israel the one written by that well known “Jewish” activist Hassan Fouda, a member of al-Awda?

5. Anonymous December 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Why yes, indeed it was , DrMike. Hassan Fouda from al- Awda and Sabeel is an Egyptian anti-Israel activist and pretend Jew. http://la.indymedia.org/news/2011/12/250233_comment.php He wrote the statement. (And there we go- Typical Zionists hijacking and colonizing the comments thread of this blog in an effort to promote our nefarious zionist agenda…) And interestingly enough, Rebecca Vilkomerson of “proud to be ashamed to be Jewish ” group JVP wil be one of the speakers at the U of Penn BDS conference

6. Anonymous December 18, 2011 at 12:37 am #

What is BDS ??? You people do youself a diservice by not telling us what you do at the top of your banner page. Your banner was at the top of an ATS page. I am 62 and I can not figure out what you people do or who you represent. People like me are going to ignore your cryptic message. Who knows I could be a $$$ doner who went away.

7. The Stop BDS Team December 18, 2011 at 7:26 am #

I have had a response at my blog.